Highlights from the June 2016 Eversource Energy Center’s Executive Committee
The second meeting of the Eversource Energy Center Executive Committee held June 7, 2016, focused on the Center’s strategic initiatives and operational performance. Highlights included:
- Activities to establish an Advisory Board with national and international expertise in the areas of regulation, utilities, specialized business and utility industry contractors and suppliers, academia and professional trade organization leadership.
- Efforts underway to attract external government and industry funding. Other industrial partners of interest include insurance, private weather companies and consulting firms.
- The Center is targeting federal partnerships, including the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the Department of Energy (DOE), which furthers our strong collaborative relationships with the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection and the Department of Transportation.
- Active research grants with industry collaborators are pending. A federal grant focused on cyber security was submitted in April 2016. The Center is also discussing expansion of projects in Eversource’s Massachusetts and New Hampshire service territories. Center successes include a five-year funding commitment from Schneider Electric for storm outage modeling activities.
- The Center’s first Faculty Forum held May 19 engaged over 50 UConn faculty members and industry partners on the current Request for Proposal for research projects to be pursued in the 2016-2017 academic year.
- Planning is underway for a regional conference, a one-year anniversary celebration, and project selections representing $1 million in funding.
The Eversource Energy Center is overseen by a 10-member Executive Committee, which provides strategic advice to the Center Director. UConn is represented by Deans from the School of Engineering, the College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources, and the School of Business, the UConn Provost and the Vice President for Research. Eversource is represented by five senior leadership representatives, including the Executive Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer, the Vice President of Strategic Planning and Policy, the Vice President of Engineering – Connecticut, the Vice President of Regulatory Affairs and Community Relations, and the President of Corporate Citizenship.
Published: June 29, 2016
Categories: Recent News